The term ‘spirit guide’ is quite commonly used, but what does it actually mean? I hear many people speaking about who they think their spirit guide is, but quite often, they are completely wrong. In this article, we are going to discuss what spirit guides are, their purpose, common misconceptions surrounding them, and most importantly – how you can connect to yours.
So what is a spirit guide?
A spirit guide is a soul that has lived a human existence (unlike angels – but that’s another topic for another day). You will have a main spirit guide throughout your whole lifetime who will be there for you through whatever life throws your way. However, you may also meet a few other guides throughout your life that come in to teach you things regarding a particular situation you may be going through.
The main purpose of a spirit guide is to be there to support and look after you. They offer you unconditional love, guidance, support and sometimes even a stern talking to. If you are in tune with your psychic abilities, you may already know your guide well and know how to communicate with them. However, if you are a complete beginner, they will try to communicate with you in ways that you may just not have noticed before. There are many signs, otherwise known as synchronities, to look out for from your spirit guides including:
- Number sequences or patterns
- Significant messages or experiences in your dreams
- Songs or pieces of music that follow you around or really stand out to you
- Your eye may just be drawn to something, however small.
Does everyone have a spirit guide?
The second you take your first breath when you are born, your main spirit guide is assigned to you. They will stay with you throughout your whole life until you take your last breath. Your life decisions, spiritual or religious beliefs and lifestyle choices will never break that bond. They are they to help you through everything life has to offer, to guide you, support you, and in some cases, even save your life. Have you ever had a life-threatening experience that you felt like you were ‘saved’ from? You have your spirit guide to thank for that.
I hear many misconceptions surrounding the spirit guides on a regular basis. Here’s just a few that I feel need clarifying.
- “My Nan is my spirit guide”. – Absolutely not. In fact, this is impossible. Our spirit guides are always people we have never known, and it is very unlikely that they are related to you in any way. Your Nan may be helping guide you through life choices, but she is not your spirit guide.
- “Guardian angels and spirit guides are the same.” – No, they are not. Guardian angels, and all angels, in fact, have never lived a physical existence. Spirit guides have and that is how they have built up their life experiences to be able to offer to you.
- “I don’t believe in spirits so I won’t have a spirit guide.” – As we covered earlier, absolutely everyone that is living has a spirit guide. It’s up to you whether you decide to try and connect with them or not, but they are there and always will be.